The Bloomington Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 800 block of E. University St., just after 8:40 p.m., Thursday.
When firefighters arrived all the occupants of the house had exited and were uninjured, according to BFD Batt., Chief Travis Drescher. The fire had been confined to one room.
Homeowner Norm Ladd said the electricity had gone out, and he and his wife, had candles lit in the cold home when the fire began. Ladd said he had been in a room with his wife, but he went to get some water, and his left the room briefly, and when he returned a shawl his wife had been wearing, and chair, were engulfed in flames.
Ladd said he did his best to put out the fire with water, which wasn’t enough, so he called the fire department, and they quickly arrived and extinguished the fire.
Ladd said he was concerned about water and smoke damage to his 100-year-old home, but his wife, and dog were safe. “As bad things go, this couldn’t have gone better,” said Ladd.