The Bloomingtonian

Monroe County to receive 49,850-dollar matching grant to rehabilitate Alexander Memorial

March 18, 2020 – Bloomington, Indiana USA: The Alexander Memorial is on the right side of this file photo during the Covid-19/Coronavirus emergency, March 18, 2020 in Bloomington, Indiana. (File photo by Jeremy Hogan/The Bloomingtonian)

The Monroe County government will receive a DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA) Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) grant for work to restore the Alexander Memorial on the grounds of the Monroe County  Courthouse, according to a press release from the DNR. “In most cases, these grants require a dollar-for-dollar match of local or private funds,” according to the release. 

The part of the press release pertaining to the memorial reads: 

“Bloomington:  The Monroe County government will receive a $49,850 matching grant to  rehabilitate the Alexander Memorial on the grounds of the Monroe County  Courthouse. The memorial was erected in 1928 at Alexander’s  direction. He was a county native and Civil War veteran. The monument  was placed on the courthouse grounds as a memorial to honor all soldiers  and sailors from Monroe County who served in all wars. A 2017  assessment documented physical conditions as well as the original  construction methods and found that most mortar joints were severely  eroded and allowing water infiltration into the interior of the monument  structure. In addition, biological growth may be holding moisture that  is causing staining and stone erosion. The scope of work includes gently  cleaning the historic limestone elements of environmental staining as  well as organic growth, and repointing all mortar joints. Mortar  pointing will also be conducted during the reassembly and reinstallation  of carved stone panels that are being restored and not being funded by  the grant. For more information contact Danielle Bachant-Bell, 812-336-6141.”

“Here is text of the entire press release: 

For immediate release: Aug. 5, 2020

Grants will help preserve local history across state

The  DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA) has  awarded 14 federal Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) grants totaling more  than $481,000 for historic preservation and archaeology projects in  Indiana communities. In most cases, these grants require a  dollar-for-dollar match of local or private funds for a total projected  investment of $929,000 in cultural resource projects across the state.

Funding  comes from the National Park Service, a unit of the U.S. Department of  the Interior, which distributes federal funds to the states through its  HPF Program. Since 2000, the state has awarded $11 million to assist  more than 500 important heritage preservation projects across Indiana.  When combined with local matching funds, this represents investment of  more than $23 million into preservation of Indiana’s heritage.

Angola: The  Powers Church and Cemetery Association will receive a $25,000 grant to  rehabilitate the bell tower and steeple of the 1876 wood-frame church.  It was built as part of the community established by the Powers brothers  and served the community until the early 20th century. A  committee to save and protect the church formed in the 1970s and found  the church to be almost entirely intact, with original interior features  and décor. The committee has carefully maintained the church since  then, but there is water infiltration and wood rot evident in the  steeple and bell tower, which is threatening these prominent features as  well as interior spaces with original finishes. The scope of work  includes inspecting and reinforcing the structural portion of the tower  and steeple, and repairing damaged and rotted woodwork that clads the  steeple and bell tower. For information contact Marcia Powers,  260-668-5908.

Bloomington:  The Monroe County government will receive a $49,850 matching grant to  rehabilitate the Alexander Memorial on the grounds of the Monroe County  Courthouse. The memorial was erected in 1928 at Alexander’s  direction. He was a county native and Civil War veteran. The monument  was placed on the courthouse grounds as a memorial to honor all soldiers  and sailors from Monroe County who served in all wars. A 2017  assessment documented physical conditions as well as the original  construction methods and found that most mortar joints were severely  eroded and allowing water infiltration into the interior of the monument  structure. In addition, biological growth may be holding moisture that  is causing staining and stone erosion. The scope of work includes gently  cleaning the historic limestone elements of environmental staining as  well as organic growth, and repointing all mortar joints. Mortar  pointing will also be conducted during the reassembly and reinstallation  of carved stone panels that are being restored and not being funded by  the grant. For more information contact Danielle Bachant-Bell, 812-336-6141.

Chesterfield:  The Friends of Camp Chesterfield will receive $11,500 to rehabilitate  the Koch Cottage, believed to have been constructed in 1899. It is the  most architecturally intact example at the Chesterfield Spiritualist  Camp of a two-story cottage from the late 19th/early-20th century. It is  located on the park side of the district and has few exterior  alterations and a high degree of architectural integrity. The cottage  has had recent preservation investment, including installation of a new  roof, fabrication of 14 custom-made wood windows to replace original  units that were damaged and rotted beyond repair, removal of asphalt  siding, and replacement of rotted foundation sill plates. The HPF  project will result in a number of exterior rehabilitation activities in  order to halt water and animal infiltration, repair damaged and  deteriorated features, and finish securing the building envelope. For  more information, contact Suzanne Stanis, 317-639-4534.

DeKalb County: The  DeKalb County commissioners will receive $50,000 to assist with  rehabilitating the Spencerville Covered Bridge. Built in 1873, the  bridge is located just outside Spencerville and is the last remaining  covered bridge in DeKalb County. It is a 146-foot long single span that  was constructed using a Smith IV truss method. A routine inspection in  2017 revealed severe water damage to the bolster beams, the ends of the  lower chords, and additional wear to the abutments. Evidence of wood rot  and wood softening were found as well as some damage to the decking,  posing potential hazards for users. As a result of these issues, the  bridge was closed to any use. The scope of work consists of jacking the  bridge up from the abutments in order to access its lower members,  repair and partial replacement of the four ends of the lower chords,  repair or replacement for the bolster beams at the four corners, and  replacement of the top layer of decking and the bottom layer of  transverse decking. For more information contact Ben Parker,  260-925-1864.

Fort Wayne:  The City of Fort Wayne will receive a $50,000 matching grant to assist  with rehabilitation of the ironwork on the Wells Street Bridge. The  bridge is a metal Whipple truss built in 1884. It is a 180-foot single  span across the St. Marys River that was used for vehicular traffic  until 1982, connecting the downtown with the near north side of Fort  Wayne. Since its closure to vehicles, it has been used exclusively by  pedestrians and bicyclists as part of a popular trail in Promenade Park.  Although the bridge remains structurally sound, many decorative cast  iron elements have deteriorated, cracked, and broken, resulting in loss  of many of the pieces that have been shed and posing a safety hazard for  users. For more information contact Sarah Nichter, 260-427-6024.

Fort Wayne:  The City of Fort Wayne will also receive a $3,020 matching grant to  nominate the Beechwood Historic District to the National Register of  Historic Places. The district comprises several plats, with large homes constructed from the late 19th  century through the 1940s. Significant for community development and  planning, this picturesque neighborhood with large lots, mature trees,  and some curvilinear streets seamlessly incorporates its natural  topography into the neighborhood design. This district will include  approximately 57 contributing properties. For more information contact Don Orban, 260-427-2160.

Huntington:  The City of Huntington will receive a $20,000 grant to prepare  rehabilitation plans for the Memorial Park Water Race. In 1937, a WPA  project embedded large flat stones into the sloping banks of the park to  create a water race that carried storm water from the spillway of the  south pond to West Park Drive. The stone race channel walls are roughly  16 inches thick, range in height from 3 to 5 feet, vary in width from 8  to 12 feet, and run nearly 500 feet in length. Overall, the water race  is in fair to poor condition. There are several places where  deterioration has caused some of the stone walls to collapse due to  hydraulic forces, freeze-thaw cycles, undercutting, and vegetation  growth. In addition, the channel and in-line basin are affected by  debris and vegetation growth. The project will use HPF funds to hire a  professional engineering firm to evaluate the current condition of the  stone race and develop plans for appropriate rehabilitation. For more  information contact Bryn Keplinger, 260-356-5146.

Indianapolis:  The Indianapolis Propylaeum will receive a $48,465 grant for masonry  rehabilitation on the original carriage house of the Schmidt-Schaf home.  It is the only original two-story, brick-clad structure of its type in  the Old Northside Historic District. This building originally housed  carriages and automobiles as well as the boiler plant, laundry  facilities, and rooms and apartments for servants who worked in the main  house. The building was later adapted into two storefronts facing 14th  Street, an upstairs apartment, a large studio space, and a townhouse.  Masonry deterioration has resulted in water infiltration that has  damaged interior spaces and left parts of the building unfit for use or  occupancy. For more information contact Rose Wernicke, 317-372-3625. 

Monticello:  The Twin Lakes School Corporation will receive $26,558 to address  foundation issues at its historic administration building, which was  once Southside School. The  brick Romanesque Revival style structure was built in 1892 and became  the administration building in 1963. It withstood the 1974 tornado that  damaged and destroyed part of downtown Monticello, was renovated in  1988, and had an addition built in 2007 to better accommodate staff and  provide ADA compliant access. The building has some masonry  deterioration and water infiltration issues due to ponding, improper  water runoff, and settling of the foundation. The scope of work includes  rehabilitating the masonry foundation and properly addressing guttering  and runoff issues that have exacerbated brick masonry deterioration in  certain locations, particularly the southwest corner. For more  information contact Jennifer Harrison, 574-583-7211.

Morgan and Monroe Counties: Ball  State University’s Applied Anthropology Laboratories will receive  $49,999 for an archaeological survey at portions of Morgan-Monroe State  Forest. The project will conduct a Phase Ia survey of approximately 60  acres situated in the vicinity of two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)  camps that were built in the 1930s, one of which was built for African  American workers. The focus will be on areas surrounding the camps. The  project will fully delineate the extent of the camps and document any  archaeological features. For more information contact Christine  Thompson, 765-285-5328.

Muncie:  Cornerstone Center for the Arts will receive a $37,100 grant to  stabilize and rehabilitate the exterior masonry of the six-story Tudor  Gothic Revival style Masonic Temple built in 1926. Currently, the  building is home to the Cornerstone Center for the Arts, which provides  arts, arts education, and community enrichment in east-central Indiana.  Over the years, multiple projects to maintain, rehabilitate, and  modernize the building for use have been completed. A 2019 assessment  identified ongoing areas that require attention. One is exterior masonry  rehabilitation on the weather-exposed west elevation, which has  extensive mortar loss that is allowing water infiltration. This water  damage has resulted in significant plaster and paint deterioration on  the third floor and third mezzanine level. For more information contact  Cornerstone Center for the Arts, 765-281-9503.

New Albany:  The Floyd County Historical Society will receive $10,000 for masonry  rehabilitation on the William Young House. The ca. 1837 brick residence  now houses the Floyd County Historical Society’s Padgett Museum. The  building retains significant integrity with original six-over-six  windows, interior woodwork, and other features intact. Some masonry  rehabilitation was performed in 2005, and the north and east side  elevations are in good condition. The west and south elevations both  exhibit brick deterioration, mortar loss, and some areas of deflection.  The project consists of masonry rehabilitation to stabilize the west and  south sides of the building. For more information contact Laura  Renwick, 812-284-4534.

Tippecanoe County: The  University of Indianapolis will receive a $49,998 grant for an  archaeological survey at Prophetstown State Park. Park staff have  identified four high-priority areas. The project will conduct Phase Ib  survey of at least 19 acres across three of these four areas and conduct  ground penetrating radar (GPR) survey of the four pre-contact mounds  within the park. The HPF-assisted survey activities will encompass a  total of approximately 25 acres. For more information contact  Christopher Moore, 317-788-3534.

Vincennes:  The City of Vincennes will receive a $50,000 grant to continue window  rehabilitation on its Beaux Arts style police department building, which  was originally the town’s post office. For this project, 25 original  windows will be rehabilitated, and appropriate wood replacement units  will be fabricated for five vinyl windows. Most of the original windows  covered by this phase are six-over-six double-hung units or paired  six-light casements. The wood windows have deteriorated due to  weathering, paint loss, dry rot, joint separation, and water  infiltration. The five vinyl windows will be replaced with newly  fabricated wood windows to match the original windows throughout the  building. For more information on this project, contact Michelle  Carrico, 812-295-3707.

For more information on the HPF and the grant process, contact Malia Vanaman, HPF assistant grants manager, at 317-232-1648.

                                                                                 -30-“

Rate this post

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 3.4 / 5. Vote count: 5

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Liked it? Take a second to support The Bloomingtonian on Patreon!