Update sent Wednesday evening by Monroe County Coroner Joani Stalcup:
“**For Immediate Release**
Monroe Fire District was called to Woodland Springs Apartments located at 2911 S. Leonard Springs Rd, Bloomington, at approximately 9:51pm on 3/29/2022. As firefighters were searching evacuated apartments a male was found deceased in the apartment where the fire appeared to have originated. The coroner’s office was called to the scene at 00:12am on 3/30/2022. The victim has been identified as Bobby Coker Jr., 43 of Bloomington. Mr. Coker had an autopsy conducted today, Wednesday, in Terre Haute. His preliminary cause of death has been ruled as Asphyxia due to Smoke Inhalation, the manner of death has preliminarily been ruled as accidental. The State Fire Marshall and the MFD Fire Investigator on the scene discovered the origin of the fire was from the gas range in the kitchen. It appeared Mr. Coker had been cooking and for unknown reasons had left it unattended. Toxicology testing is pending. No suspicion of foul play was found in the investigation.”
A 43-year-old man was found deceased after a fire at an apartment building Tuesday night in Bloomington, according to Monroe County Coroner Joani Stalcup. The man’s identity is being withheld pending next of kin notification.
Stalcup said the man was found in an apartment around 12:12 a.m. Wednesday morning. An autopsy has been for later Wednesday to determine the exact cause and manner of death.
“There is no suspicion of foul play and according to the State Fire Marshall and Fire Investigator on scene it appears the fire was accidental,” said Stalcup.
Firefighters responded to a fire at 2911 South Leonard Springs Road around 9:51 p.m. on March 29, 2022. The apartment is outside city limits.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.