Chimney fire spreads quickly in house on South Snow Road Friday night near Bloomington, Indiana

Photo courtesy of the Monroe Fire Protection District
Photo courtesy of the Monroe Fire Protection District
Photo courtesy of the Monroe Fire Protection District
Photo courtesy of the Monroe Fire Protection District

A chimney fire spread quickly to a house on South Snow Road south of Bloomington, Indiana Friday, March 10, 2023.

The Monroe Fire Protection District sent the following press release:

Battalion Chief Jason Allen
Public Information Officer
Phone: 812-837-6360
Email: [email protected]
Chimney Fire Spreads into House
On Friday night March 10th , 2023 just before 10pm Monroe Fire Protection
District responded to the 9700 block of S Snow Rd for a chimney fire.
While units were still responding to the scene a water tender from Center-
Jackson Fire Territory in Greene County was requested to assist with water
supply due to the very rural location of the fire. Engine 23 and Engine 39
arrived on scene and found visible fire coming from the corner of the house
and spreading quickly. Firefighters stretched a hose line to the corner of the
house slowing the spread of fire on the outside while additional firefighters
deployed hoses into the house for fire attack. The fire had spread up the
corner of the house and into the attic space. Crews pulled drywall down
from the ceiling throughout the house to expose hidden fire spots in the
attic. This was made difficult due to the high cathedral style ceilings in most
of the home. Eventually firefighters were able to stop the fire spread and
contain it to the attic space.
After the fire was knocked down crews began conducting salvage and
overhaul operations. During this operation firefighters kept getting high
temperature readings and finding small fires in the cellulose insulation in the
attic. Cellulose insulation is known to trap heat and eventually start
secondary fires, possibly hours later causing even more damage.
Firefighters decided to remove the remaining drywall and cellulose insulation
in the attic to prevent additional fires, which created a larger mess inside the
home. Crews remained on the scene for several hours shoveling out the
insulation debris throughout the home and attempting to locate items of
importance for the homeowners. The American Red Cross was contacted to
assist the homeowners with shelter and other items they might need.
Monroe Fire Protection DistrictThe homeowners were home at the time of the fire and reported starting a fire in the fireplace earlier in the day and then began smelling something
burning later in the evening. When they went to investigate the burning
smell, they noticed a smoky haze in the upstairs of the home and then saw
fire coming out the side of the house. They called 911 and safely exited the
home before firefighters arrived on the scene.
The cause of the fire was ruled accidental and no injuries were reported.
Engines 23, 39, 21, 29, 22, Battalions 22 and 29, Chief 23, and Center-
Jackson Fire Territory Tender 2 responded to the fire. Additional assistance
on scene provided by IU Lifeline Ambulance, REMC, and the Red Cross.

Rate this post

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.5 / 5. Vote count: 8

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Liked it? Take a second to support The Bloomingtonian on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!