The Monroe Fire Protection District posted the following on Facebook Tuesday:
May 30th, 2023 – Monroe Fire Protection District Engines 22, 29, Ladder 21 and Ellettsville Fire Department Engine 81 responded to the 3800 block of S Cramer Circle for a vehicle fire next to a structure.
Fire units were dispatched to the fire just after 3am this morning. Battalion 22 arrived on scene reporting two vehicles on fire in the driveway with fire spreading to the front of the home. Firefighters pulled a hose line and knocked down the fire spreading to the home before working back to extinguish the two cars on fire. All occupants were reported to be outside of the homes upon fire department’s arrival, except for one dog. Fire crews conducted a search of the effected homes for any occupants and the missing dog. It was later found that the dog had exited the home on its own and was reconnected with its owner.
Once all fire was extinguished firefighters conducted salvage and overhaul operations of the scene looking for any hidden fires. While firefighters were checking the houses for any fire extension a carbon monoxide monitor was used to check the air quality. High levels of carbon monoxide were found in the basements of the effected houses. Firefighters used a positive pressure fan to clear any smoke and toxic gas from the homes before allowing individuals back inside.
The fire was reported by a neighbor who was awaken by a loud explosion sound and spotted the vehicle on fire in the neighbor’s driveway. They called 911 and began knocking on the neighbor’s door to get them out of the house. The homeowner of the initial house also reported hearing a couple of loud boom sounds before one occupant noticed smoke in the residence. In all, three vehicles and three residences were damaged by the fire.
The cause of the fire was ruled accidental due to a mechanical failure on the vehicle. One resident complained of a minor injury from trying to get out of the house quickly. They were checked by IU Lifeline Ambulance crew and released. The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the residents with any needs they might have.