Improper disposal of fireworks causes house fire in McCordsville, Indiana

Courtesy photo – Vernon Township Fire Department

Staff report

McCordsville, Ind. – July 4, 2023

A house fire began in a trash can located on the exterior of the structure and was caused by improper disposal of firework debris, according to the Vernon Township Fire Department in McCordville, Indiana. The fire began after midnight, also damaging a neighboring house.

McCordsville is Northeast of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Engine 432 and Medic 431 were already going to another emergency call, according to the VTFD. However, Engine 431 arrived at the scene just in time to witness the fire spreading to the neighboring house due to the intense heat generated by the initial blaze.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading to the neighbor’s house. But, the house where the fire originated was destroyed. Nobody was injured in the fire.

Assistance was provided by multiple neighboring fire departments, including Buck Creek, Sugar Creek, Lawrence, and Fishers, who collaborated with the Vernon Township Fire Department to bring the fire under control.

Fire Chief Mark A. Elder took the opportunity to highlight the hazards associated with fireworks. He urged the public to exercise caution and responsible behavior when handling fireworks, emphasizing the importance of properly disposing of firework debris in a metal container, far away from any combustible materials. Chief Elder also encouraged residents to consider attending public firework shows, which provide a safer alternative to private use.

Rate this post

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4 / 5. Vote count: 4

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Liked it? Take a second to support The Bloomingtonian on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!