Staff report written from a box score
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana – September 16, 2023
The Indiana Hoosiers (1-2, 0-1) missed out on a comeback against the Louisville Cardinals (3-0, 1-0), ultimately losing 21-14 at Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday, September 16, 2023.
The game played under sunny skies with no wind, saw the Cardinals take an early lead in the first quarter when Jack Plummer connected with Jamari Thrash for an 85-yard touchdown pass. Louisville continued to dominate in the second quarter, adding two more touchdowns to their tally. Maurice Turner scored on a 2-yard run, and Jawhar Jordan followed suit with a 25-yard rushing touchdown, both of which were kicked successfully by Brock Travelstead.
However, the Hoosiers made an effort to claw their way back into the game in the third quarter. Tayven Jackson found Jaylin Lucas for a 30-yard touchdown pass, and Josh Henderson added another score with a 2-yard rushing touchdown, narrowing the gap to 21-14.
Both teams battled in the fourth quarter, but neither could find the end zone again. Louisville’s defense held strong to secure the victory.
Statistically, the teams were closely matched in several categories. Louisville earned 20 total first downs compared to Indiana’s 19. In rushing, Louisville gained a net total of 184 yards. Indiana, on the other hand, managed 58 net rushing yards, with Lucas Jaylin contributing 29 yards.
Through the air, Jack Plummer of Louisville threw for 238 yards and one touchdown, while Tayven Jackson, of Indiana, threw for 299 yards and one touchdown. Jaylin Lucas was a standout receiver for Indiana, amassing 98 receiving yards and one touchdown.
Defensively, both teams recorded an interception.
Indiana will now look to bounce back from this loss as they prepare for their next game against Akron on September 23, while Louisville continues their undefeated streak.
- LOU: Thrash,Jamari 85 yd pass from Plummer,Jack (Travelstead,Brock kick) – 7-0
- LOU: Turner,Maurice 2 yd run (Travelstead,Brock kick) – 14-0
- LOU: Jordan,Jawhar 25 yd run (Travelstead,Brock kick) – 21-0
- IND: Lucas,Jaylin 30 yd pass from Jackson,Tayven (Freeman,Chris kick) – 21-7
- IND: Henderson,Josh 2 yd run (Freeman,Chris kick) – 21-14
- First Downs: LOU 20, IND 19
- Total Offense: LOU 422 yards, IND 357 yards
- Rushing Yards: LOU 184, IND 58
- Passing Yards: LOU 238, IND 299
- Turnovers: LOU 1 (1 INT), IND 1 (1 INT)
- Possession Time: LOU 28:48, IND 31:12