The following was sent to the Bloomingtonian:
Bloomington Chamber Singers will open their 54th season with an evening of Bach and Vivaldi, featuring the full chorus, an orchestra, and a variety of soloists to bring these exquisite compositions to life. This powerful and moving concert will be presented Sunday, October 22, 2023, in the sanctuary of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church at 7:30 pm.
The concert will open with Bach’s Magnificat in D Major, BWV 243. A masterful example of Baroque music, it is characterized by its intricate counterpoint, rich harmonies, and expressive choral writing. The work consists of twelve movements, each varying in mood and musical texture.
Rounding out the evening will be Vivaldi’s Gloria in D Major, RV 589. With its roots in the Catholic Mass, the overarching theme of the Gloria is one of exultation and praise. The piece expresses reverence and adoration for God through music, capturing the spirit of devotion and celebration. It has remained a beloved work in the choral and classical music repertoire, cherished for its beauty and expressive power.
Tickets are available online (www.chambersingers.info) and at the door prior to the concert. A livestream option is available. The ensemble is conducted by BCS Artistic Director Gerald Sousa.
· Location: St. Mark’s United Methodist Church (100 N St Rd 46, Bloomington, Indiana)
· Date and Time: Sunday, October 22, 2023, at 7:30 pm
- Tickets: $25 General Admission, $20 Students
- In-person tickets: available online at www.chambersingers.info or at the door
- Doors: open 45 minutes prior to performance
- Seating: festival seating is being used and the venue is ADA accessible
- Livestream tickets: available online at www.chambersingers.info