North Vernon, Indiana – October 4, 2023
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is set to commemorate a significant milestone in the preservation of the state’s natural heritage with a dedication ceremony for the 300th nature preserve, Toothwort Woods. Known for its scenery and ecological importance.
- What: Dedication Ceremony for Indiana’s 300th Nature Preserve, Toothwort Woods
- When: Tuesday, October 10, at 11:00 a.m.
- Where: Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area, 1502 S. 75 W., North Vernon, IN 47265
- Parking: Clearly marked signs will guide attendees to designated parking areas, with vans available to transport guests to the dedication site.
The event will bring together figures in the realm of conservation, including:
- Dan Bortner, Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Director
- Amanda Wuestefeld, Indiana DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife Director
- Ron Hellmich, Indiana DNR Division of Nature Preserves Director
- Cliff Chapman, President and CEO of the Central Indiana Land Trust, Inc.
Background: Toothwort Woods, the 300th Nature Preserve in Indiana, encompasses a pristine 101-acre parcel within the Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area. This preserve is known for its diverse natural upland forests, the serene Vernon Fork of the Muscatatuck River, and limestone bedrock ravines that provide vital habitat for rare and endangered animals and plants.
Toothwort Woods is home to all four of Indiana’s native toothwort plant species, underscoring its biological significance.
The dedication event is designed to be an immersive outdoor experience, featuring a short guided hike through the preserve’s rugged terrain. Attendees will have the opportunity to witness firsthand the ecological wonders that Toothwort Woods offers.
For those interested in attending this historic event, please note that it will take place on October 10th at 11 a.m. at the Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area in North Vernon, Indiana. Parking will be clearly indicated, and transportation to the dedication site will be provided for convenience.
For further information or inquiries, please contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
Please be advised that the event is subject to weather conditions, and attendees are encouraged to dress appropriately for outdoor activities.
This article was written based on information provided by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and is subject to updates or changes.