Monroe County, December 15, 2023 – The Monroe County Public Library (MCPL) is gearing up for a vibrant January with various engaging programs and opportunities for community involvement. From selecting the next featured video game to hosting a myriad of events catering to all ages, MCPL is set to kickstart the New Year on an interactive note.
Video Game Selection for January
Calling all Monroe County gamers! MCPL is inviting the community to cast their votes for January’s Video Game Station featured experience. Interested individuals can choose from four unique titles until the end of December. The winning game will be available for play at the Downtown Library, offering an exciting way to commence the new year.
Acknowledgment of Community Support
Expressing gratitude to the Monroe County community, the library extended its thanks for the overwhelming generosity demonstrated during November’s fundraising at Bloomingfoods Co-op Market. Donations from patrons rounding up their spare change amassed a total exceeding $8,400. This support will significantly aid MCPL’s programs, collections, and other endeavors. The library also commended Bloomingfoods for including the Friends of the Library in their impactful Positive Change program.
Upcoming Programs for All Ages
MCPL has curated a diverse range of programs suitable for different age groups. These include:
- “School’s Off, Movie’s In!: The Polar Express” – A family-friendly movie screening on December 22 at the Southwest Branch, inviting attendees to don their pajamas or bring blankets for a cozy experience.
- “All-Ages Day at the Ellettsville Teen Space” – Scheduled for December 23 at the Ellettsville Branch, this event welcomes patrons of all ages to explore the Teen Space, offering activities like a DIY design studio, video games, and virtual reality experiences.
Exciting Children’s Programs
The library is also offering engaging programs tailored for children, such as:
- “Boxing Day Cardboard Extravaganza” on December 26 at the Downtown Library, where youngsters aged 5 to 12 can unleash their creativity using cardboard and building tools.
- “Winter Crafternoon” on December 28 at the Southwest Branch, providing an opportunity for children aged 7 to 12 to indulge in crafting activities despite the chilly weather.
Teen and Adult Programs
Additionally, MCPL has arranged captivating programs for teens and adults, including movie screenings, crafting sessions, and interactive clubs.
- The “TMNT: Mutant Mayhem Viewing Party” scheduled for December 18 at the Downtown Library invites teens aged 12 to 19 for a movie screening and discussions.
- For adults, there are diverse events like the “Creative Holiday Cards” workshop, the “Novel Horizons: A Mixed Media Club”, and the “Ellettsville Book Group” discussion, providing opportunities for engagement and enrichment.
Library News and Resources
The library will observe closures during the winter holidays, with all MCPL locations closed on December 24 and 25, resuming regular operations on December 26. Similarly, there will be closures for the New Year’s holiday, starting from December 31 at 5 PM, and reopening on January 2.
Furthermore, MCPL encourages participation in community initiatives such as ‘Dine Out for the Library’ with Muddy Fork Farm & Bakery on December 16, where 50% of purchases will support the Friends of the Library.
Readers are also invited to explore curated booklists and enjoy winter-themed reading suggestions from the MCPL staff.
For more information and a detailed list of events, visit the Monroe County Public Library website or visit any of their locations.